Meet Judy Gervais. We met her on our Canary Island cruise and found her insights into traveling worth sharing. She owns her own business in Maine, belongs to an outdoors club, and travels the world to kayak.
1) Why do you love to travel?
I like to learn new things and meet interesting people and get a perspective on the world.
2) How many countries have you visited?
3) How many states have you visited?-
4) What has been your favorite trip and why?
I did a cruise to the Arctic last year for 13 days. We were 600 miles from the North Pole. It circumnavigated Spitsbergen Island, Norway. I loved it because it’s a place that no one goes. We kayaked through icebergs and glaciers and saw amazing wildlife. My favorite destination is Portugal. I was there for 10 days and did a kayaking trip from the end of the river near Spain, traveled half the river, and stayed in really small villages. I plan to go back in May 2018 to kayak through Algarve, Portugal as part of a kayaking tour.
5) What destination is/are on your bucket list?
6) What is your best packing tip?
I’m not a good packer! Pack your suitcase and take half of what you have packed out.
7) What tips do you have to make it through a long plane, bus, or train ride?
I read on my kindle.
8) How do you avoid jet lag or time zone fatigue?
I always try to add a day or two in front of my tour.
9) What are your best safety tips when traveling?
Be alert. I have a pouch that I keep on me. I don’t carry a backpack or big pocketbook.
10) What has been your biggest travel nightmare or mistake?
I did a Colorado river water raft trip and I wasn’t prepared for having to stand in the river at 48 degrees to go the bathroom.
11) Do you prefer hotels, hostels, or Airbnb/Home Away or similar sites like that? Why?
I usually stay in hotels or bed and breakfasts. I haven’t had the opportunity to stay in home sharing locations, and as a single female traveler, I’m not sure about the safety of hostels.
12) If money were no object and you could retire or live anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?
I would stay in Lewiston, Maine.
13) What do you wish you knew when you first started traveling?
You just have to go and try it. You will either catch the bug and want to keep traveling or determine that you’re not a good traveler.